Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tacoooos

Yesterday I made some tacos from a recipe I found on Food Network.com... not the kind you buy in a box with pre-made seasoning but with a homemade seasoning and fresh tortillas! I added and changed a few things for my liking. Tacos are a great dinner for when you are having people come over - everyone can make their tacos the way they like them.

Here's what you need:
2 Tbsp corn oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced - leave some of a seeds if you want it to be spicier!
11/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Salt
Ground red pepper to taste
Ground coriander - just a pinch!
1 can diced tomatoes with the juices (you can use 4 peeled canned tomatoes, chopped or fresh tomatoes, chopped - I just didnt have any that were ripe yet and had the can of diced tomatoes on hand)
3/4 lb ground beef
1/3 cup chicken broth (I thought I had some in the fridge and I was wrong - so I just substitued with water)
Corn Tortillas or Tortilla Chips -We used both - Shannon and I had taco salad and Trevor and Ed had tacos!

Here's how you make it:
1. Prep all your veggies!
2. Put the oil, onions, garlic, jalapenos, and spices in a medium skillet and turn burner on to medium to medium-low heat. Stir occasionally until the onions are tender, about 10 min.
3. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes and their juices. Boil to thicken, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the beef and chicken stock, adjust the heat so the mixture simmers. Cook the beef until cooked through and the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
5. Season with S&P and it is ready to make into tacos!

Toppings we used:
2 avacados, chopped
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour cream
Cilantro, roughly chopped
Romaine lettuce, chopped
You can use any other toppings you like! Salsa, tomatoes, etc :)

No comments:

Post a Comment